Based off of the results of our multi-sectoral and program development workshops held last February and March 2016, this Year 3 appeals will conclude the successful outcomes of Year 1 (EA 12/2014) and Year 2 (EA 07/2015) program implementations.
With strong support from Caritas International and its member organizations, NASSA/Caritas Philippines will again take the lead with the nine diocesan social action centers and/or relief and rehabilitation units, in setting the scene for the last phase of the #REACH Philippines implementation: fully recognizing and strengthening the initiatives on Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction (CMDRR) as the program’s over- arching strategy. With emphasis on sustainability and community development, the Year 3 programs will focus on three aspects:
1. Building strong community organizations such as BWSA and WASH committees for WASH, sectoral groupings for farmers, fishermen, women and youth for Livelihoods, and home owners ‘associations and local artisans for shelter which will be classified into bigger community organizations such as the BDRRMCs .
2. Institutionalization of participatory planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning.
3. Facilitating the transfer of ownership of the entire CMDRR project to the parish and/or the local government structures.
There are multiple objectives of this project :
- Reduction of risk
– Reinforce and train partners and local leaders in risk prevention from natural disasters
– Construct evacuation centers
– Train artisans (carpenters and masons) in materials resistant to natural disasters for the reconstruction and restoration of homes
– Advocate for land ownership
– Develop plans that take into account resistance to natural disasters
- WASH (access to water and to hygiene infrastructure)
– Construct necessary infrastructure
– Give access to potable water and hygiene infrastructure
- Income generating initiatives
– Lead new techniques to improve living conditions and this way be able to develop new economic, social, and entrepreneurial activity
– Organize trade forums and give marketing tools for the development of local products.
- Natural resource management
– Raise awareness of natural resource management and the adaptation to climate change in the community.
This project has directly reached more than 20,068 households and indirectly reached 4,258 households through awareness raising and other services.